Growth Mindset - Week 1

image describing growth


While watching the videos featuring Professor Dweck, I was intrigued by her ideology of having an open mindset when learning. If people are closed off to the learning curve, and do not understand that growth is key in success, they will struggle. The correlation between believing in yourself enough to put forth quality effort really impacts how you move through life. Understanding the process of how you accomplished something deserves more praise than you simply be smart enough to know the answer.

I enjoyed Dweck's thoughts describing 'not yet.' As a student, I always struggled with math. I hated it because I felt I wasn't good at it and I always received bad grades. I wonder if I would have been a better student if I would have had the open mindset of understanding growth instead of the closed-off mindset of accepting what I couldn't do at that time. Maybe receiving the grade 'not yet' could've changed my path to learning.

I think understanding that every part of life is a process is very important for people in our society. You still have to put effort into achieving greatness, no matter how smart you are, that goes for anything you do. Teaching children at a young age that hard work pays off, and the process is important will help enhance the success of younger generations.

Comments

  1. I like you point on that everyone needs to be open to growth and how if we are closed off we will struggle and not get better. Everyone wants to improve and sometimes you just have to open yourself up to new things. I was the same way with English as you were with math and yes I am sure it would have helped if we changed our mindsets and were more open to learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracie,
    I like the point you make about the correlation between believing in yourself and the amount of quality effort you put into something on your success. I think this is a very valid point, and something we could all hear a little more of. I also thought the phrase "not yet" was very powerful and something we should integrate more into our every day lives.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reading, The Supernatural

Storytelling - week 15

Reading Notes B - week 15