Storytelling, week 10; The People of the Ravens

The People of the Ravens

In the deep forrest of the Alaskan mountains lived the people of the Ravens. These people were brought to life through the wisdom and magic the ravens provided. They were sprouted from the ground, first growing like roots and branches, then forming into people. The people found their living through the land. For shelter, they started hiding under trees. The protection was enough to keep them alive, but they wanted more. The people explored the forrest, looking for something that could be better than the simple branch of a tree. After days of looking without any luck, they decided that the tree was a good start, and they must find ways to make the tree better. They found sharp rocks near the rivers, perfectly edged by the rapid currents. With these rocks they cut off the branches, and tied them together with vines, creating huts and homes that provided better protection than the tree alone.
When the people were hungry, they ate roots and berries found in the forrest. They also feasted on fish and game they hunted. The people knew this would keep them alive, but they were growing tired of the same methods. On a dark and stormy night, a lightening bolt struck the forrest, creating a small fire. With this fire, the people found warmth, and they cooked their game over the heat of their new found tool. They were satisfied.
When winter came, the people grew cold, for the clothes they wore were not enough to keep them warm. The searched for something that would provide them with the warmth they needed, and once again had no luck. That is until one day a man spotted a brown bear, cloaked in thick fur. The people hunted the bear, and used its fur for warmth, and its meat for their meal. They were satisfied.
The people lived a long time in the forrest, constantly improving their lives and finding better tools to help with their endeavors. The people of the Ravens were strong and mighty, and their usefulness of the land now provides enchantment in the forrest of Alaska.


Authors note: The original story was based from a Native American story about how the people used the land to better themselves and help their survival. I based this story in Alaska instead of the great plains, and I used different aspects of the land to help the people on their journey. When reading stories from the Alaska section, I also found that Ravens were a prominent component in the story lines. Because my story is based in Alaska, I wanted to incorporate Ravens as well, which is why I made the people be born from them.

raven image & link

Great Plains: Sacred Legend
 Myths and Legends of the Great Plains by Katharine Berry Judson (1913).

Comments

  1. Hey Gracie!

    I thought your story was really creative. I really like how you incorporated Alaska and Ravens into the story. One thing that really stood out to me was your great use of detail. I love when stories contain so much detail and good word choices that the readers can really imagine the story taking place in their heads. So you did a great job of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Gracie! This is really creative! I really liked how you incorporated different elements from the other stories that you read. It adds a lot of extra layers to the story. You use so much detail in this and it is wonderful. As I read it, I could begin to imagine the story as it unfolded. I hope I can read more of your work, because this is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gracie! I really liked your story! It was really creative and full of details! I could really picture the people of the Ravens living in nature. You also did a really good job of tying the story to nature like those of the Native American stories. I could really find myself immersed in the story and I felt like I was there hunting with them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

storytelling, week 11 - the creation of the mermaid

Introduction to a social media marketer- Week 1